Friday, December 19, 2008

Flashback 2008: A trip to Indian himalayas

A year primarily in India away from wife, but more time with parents and extended family. A time to explore Indian himalayas, re-live culture and traditions. A year to introspect and set priorities for the future ahead.

Last year same time when it was decided I will be working in India for the good part of 2008, my adventurous spirit kicked in and started planning events to keep it satisfied. After talking to Abhijeet, my main focus for doing fast everest base camp hike. It was very good experience visiting kathmandu, lukla, namche bazaar, spending good time amongst sherpa culture. Very reqarding and humbling experience. One of the best hikes in the world.

Though I did'nt make it to EBC due to altitude sickness, I learnt lot more from that experience. Once I got back. I had the hunger to go back and do a mountain climb in Indian himalayas. coincidentally came across Stok Kangri mountain and planned a trip with sufficient time to acclimatize for a 6153 mtr mountain. with all the learnings in EBC trip, ladakh trip was perfectly executed and it was a enriching experience learning about ladakhi culture and humble way of life. I am in love with this place and people, very humble and simple minded. I hope to spend much longer time in this beautiful place. Hopefully retire out there and organize ultrartunning out there.

Apart from the above events, did some of self organized marathons and 50ks, to keep myself active.

Now I am really looking forward to 2009! Back to more ultrarunning and some climbing. I am hungry for adventure.

No comments: